The Women’s Library is a community resource specialising in writing by, for and about women. We have a wide range of both fiction and non-fiction books, videos, journals, newsletters and magazines, and information files on women's rights and women's health. We regularly refresh the library by purchasing new books.
The library opening hours are: Mon-Fri, 9am-4pm.
JOINING THE LIBRARY
Library membership is by annual subscription. To enrol you need to give us your contact details and pay a membership fee, $5 for beneficiaries and between $10 and $20 for non-beneficiaries.
USING THE LIBRARY
Books can be borrowed for four weeks. You can take out as many books as you wish and we have a convenient after-hours return letterbox on our deck. Renew books by calling or emailing with the author’s name, book title and your name. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
An ever evolving collection of contemporary fiction by women:
- Classic literature by women
- Science fiction and fantasy
- Crime and detective fiction
- Stories for young women
- Modern women’s writing
- Lesbian novels, romances, erotica, short stories, crime fiction
- Poetry, plays, humour and short story anthologies
A collection of feminist inspired books on issues relating to women:
- Feminist theory, analysis and herstory
- Te Tiriti o Waitangi and wahine Maori
- Personal growth and self-help
- Autobiographies, biographies and memoirs
- Art and literature
- Lesbian feminism, families, lives
- Queer and Trans lives
- Violence against women
- Health - menopause and menstruation, pregnancy, birth and parenting, illness and wellness, alternative medicine etc
- Journals, newsletters and magazines
- A complete collection of Broadsheet, newsletters from women’s groups and other Women’s Centres, lesbian magazines from NZ, Australia, USA and UK, the Women’s Studies Journal (NZ).
Information files on topics in women’s rights and women’s health:
- Abortion, adoption, lesbian rights, alternative medicine, violence against women, menopause, pornography...